27 April 2009

orange beach, new project, new jommers

this past weekend my mom and my two sisters took our first (hopefully annual) mother/daughter girls weekend trip. destination: orange beach. we really had a nice time just the four of us. we are blessed to all have wonderful husbands who cared for our homes and children while we were away. they all did a marvelous job! we had some tasty seafood, spent relaxing time on the beach, caught up on reading, squeezed in a run, stopped by the outlets, and watched lots of girly movies. best of all we just enjoyed each other's company.
mothers and sisters are one of a kind!


we had dinner one night at this awesome place called Cosmos, named after the owner's black lab. the food was great, the atmosphere even better. live music and outdoor seating, can't beat that.

this was also the weekend of the famed Mullet Toss at the Florabama. This was as close as we got to the mullet action.

Moving on ... my friend Heather started embroidering things for her daughter. she inspired me to have a go at this ... so I brought things with me to the beach. Heather promising me it was easy, the cost effectiveness of it for a mom on a budget, and trying something new were my reasons. Above is a lobster that I tried and below is a turtle that I tried as well. I used the split stitich mostly, except for the eyes, those were french knots. I could use some improvement, but was pleased for my first attempts.
shirt from walmart: $3.50 each
thread and needle: $1.50 (for both color threads)
mark B gone pen for tracing outline: $3.75 (can be used for more shirts)
not bad!
cheese! henry's new jommers. and yes, he is my littlest prince charming. boy did I miss him while I was gone! he seemed like he grew so much while I was away.
do I hear those dogs barking again?

lil' dozer ... big belly

1 comment:

Heather said...

YEAH!!!

Those are SO cute!!!! Great job. Boy you really went with it. I'm so proud. Now you've inspired me to do something bigger. I love love the turtle. So cute. okay now go get you some fabric backing to make it sticky on one side and do the same thing {like with the turtle} except use fabric for the body. so it's an handmade applique. email me and i'll give you specifics.

Oh and i could eat on those chunky legs and belly for DAYS! Gosh he's so cute.